Friday, August 9, 2013

Thai Spice

 I have two favorite Thai places in this town.  One is, of course, Thai Taste, which I've written about before.  The other is Thai Spice in Greenwood.  (Technically, it's north of County Line Rd. and is thus in Indy, but it's right across the street from the Greenwood Park Mall, so I'm going with "Greenwood.")

I most often get the lunch specials there, since it's not prohibitively far from work for me.  For $7.80 you get a spring roll, "lemongrass" (i.e. Tom Yum) soup, an entree from a limited menu, and a "fried banana" (a slice of banana wrapped in a spring roll wrapper and fried, then drizzled with honey).

The Tom Yum is excellent--pretty spicy (look at that chili oil floating in the bowl!), with more of a tomato punch than Thai Taste's, which gives it a really full flavor.  The sourness is well represented but not over done, and there are pieces of button mushrooms and tomatoes in there.  Really love this soup.  The spring rolls are equally as good (I prefer spring rolls over egg rolls any day)--lightly wrapped, with thin rice noodles and veggies inside.  I like to dip the roll into my soup.

My entree pick there was the admittedly not very adventurous but incredibly delicious Pad Thai with chicken.  Their version has a really great balance of flavors and comes with all of the standard toppings.  They do put their peanuts on the side, but I love that it's usually a generous portion of peanuts and they are pretty finely ground, so you can get a bit in every bite.  This version isn't as sour as Thai Taste's, or as sweet.  It can get pretty spicy--I ordered mine medium and it was perfect, with a good but not unbearable burn.

On this trip, we weren't given our bananas!  It was a travesty.  But, we were in a hurry to get back to work, so we asked for our check early and I think it threw their whole rhythm off.  Or something.  Not sure.  Either way, we were sad.  They're a great little sweet bite at the end of your meal.

Website:  Thai Spice

No comments:

Post a Comment