Thursday, August 15, 2013

Gandolfo's Deli

 The other day, my co-workers and I decided to venture to a new restaurant for lunch.  It is a chain, although not one I had ever seen before.  Gandolfo's Deli is located in Greenwood; from the website, it  looks to be the only one in Indiana.

When we entered, there was a long line.  This is the type of place where you order at the counter and then they yell your name when it's ready.  Apparently we hit the lunch rush when we arrived at 12:15; by 1pm there was no line at all.  The long line, combined with the ENORMOUS menu (I mean, seriously. ENORRRRMOUS) left all of us a little worried.  They had every cold cut you could imagine in every combination you could imagine.  Salami, pastrami, roast beef, turkey, ham, and everything in between.  The menu board was incredibly overwhelming.

I finally narrowed my choices down to an Italian sub or a French Dip, and the dip ($5.99 plus $2.69 for a drink and side) won out.  It was really delicious.  The "half" sub was huge, and it was stuffed with really flavorful roast beef, plus mayo and provolone.  It came with a little (well, actually, pretty large) cup of au jus to dip it in, and the jus was herby and lovely.  The bread was soft and tasted freshly baked (and I believe it was--they had bread ovens going in the back, you can see them from the counter).  I just got potato chips with mine, but they had several "deli salads" (think potato salad, macaroni salad), etc. to pick from, plus soup or a cookie as other options.

My friends got more traditional deli sandwiches.  The one on the left, there, was the I Love New York--pastrami and corned beef on marble rye with swiss and mustard.  She said it was great, and it certainly had tons of meat on it!  It came with a pickle, and she got the sour cream potato salad with hers.  She didn't love the potato salad, so I tried some of hers.  It wasn't my favorite, either--I like a more mustardy/vinegary potato salad, and it was lacking salt--but it wasn't bad.  My other co-worker did like it, and she also enjoyed her corned beef on marble rye.

I would definitely return to Gandolfo's, but might opt for just the sandwich next time to save money.  $2.69 for a side and drink is pretty steep, too steep to be considered a "deal" in my opinion.  In the end, I paid almost $10 for my meal.  It was a really delicious sandwich for a semi-reasonable price, but the add-ons are what will get you--and they really aren't necessary, considering how big the sandwiches are.

Website:  Gandolfo's Deli

No comments:

Post a Comment