Monday, August 5, 2013

City BBQ

City BBQ is another chain, it's true, but I think it's relatively new in Indy.  There are stores in Avon and Carmel and Greenwood (the one I visited).  I'd heard a bit of buzz about it, and wanted to check it out.

I decided to get carry out for Tim and I on my way home from work one evening a few weeks ago.  You enter and if you go to the left, you can be seated for in-house dining.  To the right, there was a counter at which you could order take-out.  There were a few people in front of me; all-in-all, the wait was probably about 15 minutes from entering to leaving with my food.  Not too bad.

I got the 'famous' 1/2 lb pulled chicken sandwich ($5.99 plus $2.99 for 2 sides), which is first smoked and then pulled and simmered in their white BBQ sauce.  They describe the sauce as being a "perfect blend cayenne & black pepper, horseradish, vinegar and other secret ingredients with sauteed red onion."  It was really good.  Really, really good.  It had such depth of flavor, it was completely addictive.  I would absolutely get it again.

For one of my sides, I chose a summer special--cucumbers and onions in vinegar.  It was pretty good, but borderline TOO vinegary (when my family makes them, we add sugar and oil to cut the acidity slightly).  Also, there was a strange herb thrown in--I want to say oregano.  Kind of odd.  Maybe they were trying to go a Greek direction with it.  I also got the corn pudding, which was fairly tasty.  Tons of corn in there, and slightly sweet.

Tim got a 1/2 lb smoked turkey breast sandwich ($6.59 plus $2.99 for 2 sides).  He let me try a little piece, and it was also really delicious.  Some good smoke flavor, very tender, and well seasoned. 

His sides were mac & cheese and green beans; I didn't try the mac & cheese, but it looked like pretty standard mac & cheese.  The green beans worried us at first--they look like sugar snap peas.  They were very wide and flat, not round like a standard green bean.  But looking at the website again, they are called "Kentucky Wonder beans," and I guess are just a variety of green bean.  Either way, they were tasty, cooked with bacon and onion.

I would really like to try their ribs, but I'm not sure I can venture away from that pulled chicken...it was just SO good!

Website:  City BBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment