Thursday, September 19, 2013

Tortas Guicho Dominguez y El Cubanito

A few weeks ago, on a Friday night, Tim and I were in Fountain Square visiting New Day Meadery and decided to grab dinner in the area, also.  We settled upon Tortas Guicho Dominguez y El Cubanito, which we've always enjoyed but don't get to super often because we just aren't in the area much.

It has changed a lot since our last visit, which was probably over a year ago.  It has expanded and now offers outdoor seating, and was quite busy when we were there.  They actually had a man with a synthesizer playing music during dinner!  I think it was their anniversary (I suspect that because it was written on the white board by the cashier--quite a detective, eh?) and that was why they had the music, but it's possible it's a regular thing.  It was sort of fun--much to Tim's chagrin, I was bopping in my seat (the kids sitting at the next table were laughing at me)--but it was also WAY too loud.  We couldn't hear each other much at all.

The food more than made up for the lack of conversation, though.  We got horchata (I think it was around $1.99) to drink, which had an incredible deep cinnamon/spice flavor.  I may have liked the flavor even more than one at La Chinita Poblana, but this one was a touch grainy (Chinita Poblana's was not at all).

For our meal, we both got tortas, of course!  Tim got the "Megan Fox" ($6.75), which contained chicken breast (chopped up), chorizo, mozzarella, and queso blanco.  It was crazy good.  I got a similar sandwich--I believe it was the "Luis Miguel" ($5.50) which was "smoked pork" (i.e. ham), chorizo, and mozzarella.  It was also crazy good.  We ended up just trading half sandwiches so we'd get some of each.  In the picture, Tim's Megan Fox is below and to the left, while mine is up and to the right.  We decided that the chicken toned down the richness of his sandwich (which he liked), whereas I really loved the saltiness of all that ham and chorizo on mine.

The bread is incredible--soft and pillowy and incredibly fresh.  They're served with two types of salsa.  One is green and is moderately hot, and the other is red and fire-y.  Both are full of flavor and we enjoyed adding them to our sandwiches.

I can't wait to return--we just need to find another excuse to visit Fletcher Place!

Website:  Tortas Guicho Dominguez y El Cubanito

No comments:

Post a Comment