Thursday, May 30, 2013

La Chinita Poblana

Earlier this week, before going to a concert in Broad Ripple, Tim and I needed a quick bite to eat.  We finally hit upon 'that fusion taco place that's in the little building where Boogie Burgers used to be,' which turned out to be called La Chinita Poblana.

We were greeted by a very enthusiastic server at the counter, and ordered two tacos each plus agua frescas to drink ($2.50).  I got pineapple strawberry (the one on the left) and Tim got horchata (on the right).  Horchata is made with rice and cinnamon, and it was DELICIOUS.  Super tasty.  I enjoyed my slightly tart but sweet and very refreshing beverage, but I coveted his just a bit.  I will definitely get it next time!

All tacos are $3, and there are quite a few options plus a special of the day.  I got the tilapia taco, which was "yellow curry blackened" and served with chipotle mayo, pickled napa cabbage, and 'herb mix' (i.e. mostly cilantro).  It was super good.  It had two large pieces of fish on it and they were juicy and flavorful.  The mayo added a kick of heat, and the cabbage was good, although it didn't taste all that pickled to me.  I picked off the herbs, of course.

My other taco was the Red Braised Pork Carnitas, which was shredded pork with crispy edges (as carnitas should be).  It was served with an avocado crema that was awesome (wish there had been just a touch more!) and diced onion, and of course, herb mix.  I really enjoyed it, also, although the tilapia was my favorite.

Tim got the skirt steak, which was red curry marinated and served the same way as my carnitas, with avocado crema, onion, and herbs.  Neither of us were super impressed looking at it, but he LOVED it.  He said it had wonderful flavor, both the steak and the crema.  His other was the special of the day--it was a shredded, marinated beef with onion and herbs.  He liked that one also, although not as much as the steak.  I didn't try that one.
 




 (Clockwise from top left: tilapia, carnitas, steak, shredded beef)

Overall, we really enjoyed our experience and already have several others picked out to try next time!

Website:  La Chinita Poblana

No comments:

Post a Comment