Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Truly Lovely Cupcakes

 A few of my co-workers and I were very excited when a cupcake shop opened up very near where we work in Greenwood.  Truly Lovely Cupcakes seemed to spring up overnight, and we all wanted to get in to try them.

I'm sad to say that I was a bit disappointed.  They are utilizing Flying Cupcake prices--$2.75 for small non-filled and $3 for small filled cupcakes (FC also offers 'jumbo' cupcakes for $3.50)--but these cupcakes are TINY.  They are certainly no larger than a cupcake you would make at home.  Don't get me wrong, Flying Cupcake is overpriced, also, but even FC's smaller cupcakes are bigger than the ones at Truly Lovely.

The second part of my disappointment came when I tried it.  I selected a snickerdoodle cupcake, which was cinnamon flavored with cream cheese icing.  The icing was great, with a strong cream cheese flavor.  But the cake was pretty dry.  The spices were pleasant, but it wasn't all that exciting to eat. 

Because they're VERY local and I'd like to see them succeed, I may give them another go if I get a strong cupcake craving.  Hopefully my on-the-dry-side cake isn't the norm for them.  But the price is pretty outrageous for a shop just starting up, and for cupcakes this size.  They need to be pretty outstanding to merit $3 after tax.

Website:  Truly Lovely Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment