Friday, June 13, 2014

Fat Dan's

It's been awhile since I've posted.  Okay, a very long while (two months).  My apologies.  Life got in the way, with a move (still in Indy!), trying to sell the old house, busyness at my job...excuses, excuses.

But we've certainly continued to eat during my time away!

We now live quite a bit closer to Broadripple and are deliriously close to all of our favorite haunts over there.  But we've also discovered a new favorite--Fat Dan's Deli.  It's located right next to Twenty Tap, yet we'd never gone in until about a month ago.

Fat Dan's has a very local-bar feel.  It's not very big, and it's the type of place where you want to sit at the bar if you can (we've managed to every time we've been).  Food is carried out to you on a gigantic piece of butcher paper and plopped down unceremoniously.  They've got some decent beers on tap--6 or 8 of those, I think--but the selection isn't nearly as prolific as their twenty-tapped neighbor.  The choices are written on a chalkboard as you enter, with just the basic info (no IBU or ABV values listed here!).

Still, it's a great experience, with tasty food.  The first time there, I got the pulled pork sandwich ($7.75).  It was piled onto a really good bun and served with a side of sauce.  My one complaint?  Not enough sauce for me.  I determined that if I ever order it again, I'd ask for two.  Otherwise, delicious.  Tim got a burger--the Wells St. Burger ($8.25), I believe, which had bacon, gorgonzola, onions, and BBQ sauce.  He really enjoyed it.

We split an order of tater tots ($3.75), and they were perfectly crispy and salty--very satisfying.  On a subsequent trip, we split the Dirty Tots (not on website, I think they were around $7.75), and oh man--they were heaven.  It's a basket of tots covered in melted cheese, hot sauce, green onions, and pulled pork.  It was the perfect greasy-cheesy-smokey-spicy combo.  Someday I'm just going to get an order of those for my meal.  I have no shame.

If you haven't made it over to Fat Dan's yet, I highly recommend you give it a go.  It makes for a great laid-back meal!

Website:  Fat Dan's Deli

No comments:

Post a Comment