Monday, June 23, 2014

Canal Bistro

Back on Memorial Day, I met up with some girlfriends from high school.  One was visiting from out of town, and wanted to go to Brugge, but alas, it was closed when we arrived.  So our group hiked towards the canal in Broad Ripple, and ended up at Canal Bistro.

I had never been there before, despite having walked by it a bazillion times over the past 15 years or so.  My friend knew it was a Mediterranean place, and that's all the rest of us needed to know--we were game to try it.

We split some hummus ($6) to start, and it was clearly made in-house--very good, with none of the fake citric acid taste of the store bought stuff.  It was drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with paprika, tomatoes, and parsley.  It was, of course, served along side some pretty decent pita bread.  Great start.

For my main, I opted for the Chicken Shawarma platter ($15).  When I used to work in Evanston, IL, we'd occasionally go to a Mediterranean place that served shawarma that was incredibly flavorful and tender, and I've been seeking something similar since then.  This was it.  It was very much how I remembered it--thinly sliced pieces of very well seasoned chicken, a little crispy on one side.  So many memories!  And so tasty.  It came with rice, a little block of feta, some onions, a few olives, and a garlic dipping sauce (not pictured).  I found that mixing a bite of the chicken and rice with the feta and garlic sauce made for a pretty awesome bite.

I believe the other ladies enjoyed their meals, as well.  I think the other meals selected were veggie kabobs, beef kabobs, and the gyro platter.  They all looked really good!  The setting was lovely--a beautiful night, not too hot, sitting along the canal.  I will definitely need to go again.

Website:  Canal Bistro

No comments:

Post a Comment