Friday, January 24, 2014

A Couple of Updates: Thai Spice and Twenty Tap

Last time I reviewed Thai Spice, I told you about the lunch special ($7.80 for soup, spring roll, entree, and fried banana).  Well, here it is in take-out form (minus a picture of the soup).  As you can see, it's a pretty hearty portion of Pad Thai--I usually get two lunches out of it.  And, the fried banana that was missing when I did my last review was present and accounted for this time.  I love that crispy wrapper drizzled in honey as a last bite after this meal!

I also recently visited Twenty Tap and tried a couple new things--they've added several items.  Tim and I split an order of poutine for our starter, and I believe it was some of the best, most straight-forward, no frills, hearty, awesome poutine I've had since I had my first poutine in Vermont a few years ago.  They have great fries at Twenty Tap, and these were topped with a rich veggie gravy, cheese curds, and green onions.  Nothing fancy, just tasty.  It was an enormous portion, and four people could easily share this as a starter--I had no room for my entree after scarfing these down!

For said entree, I tried another new item--the Fried Shrimp Po' Boy.  The shrimp seemed to be fried in a cornmeal-based batter, which is the right way to fry shrimp for a po' boy, and it was served on a light french roll with "tomato chow chow," sriracha aioli, and lettuce.  The shrimp were huge (see the photo, below--also, nerdy oxymoron alert!), and there were maybe 5 total on the sandwich.  It was pretty insanely messy to eat, especially since the shrimp were so large that you had to bite through them, and that made everything slide around on the bun. They were pretty well cooked, though, and super flavorful with the aioli and a bit of the chow chow (which is a pickled relish).  I ended up taking half of the sandwich home and just eating the remaining shrimp since the bread was, by the next day, soggy, but it was still really tasty.

Twenty Tap has also added a pork belly starter that sounds really good, along with a few other items.  Can't wait to get back there to try more!

Websites:  Thai Spice and Twenty Tap

No comments:

Post a Comment