Sunday, March 17, 2013

Good Morning Mama's

We don't go out for breakfast/brunch much anymore, but every once in awhile, if we can get ourselves moving early enough on a weekend morning, we do enjoy a going out.  Because it was Tim's birthday weekend, we decided to head out to Good Morning Mama's last Saturday morning.

We arrived around 10am or so, and there was a wait (10-15 minutes), but we decided it was short enough to stay.  They do offer free serve-yourself coffee in their lobby, although Tim got the dregs of the pot and by the time they brought more it was time to be seated.  After that incredibly-short-for-a-Saturday-in-Broad-Ripple-wait, we took our seats and perused the menus.  It's not a massive menu, but there were several things that sounded pretty good.  I searched for the perfect combo of sweet-and-savory items, and Tim was drawn to the Specialties.

He ended up getting the Stuffed Burrito Sonoma ($8.99), which was filled with eggs, bacon, chorizo, jalepenos, onions, tomatoes, and cheese, and comes with a pretty tasty salsa and sour cream.  I had a bite and went back for another, it was so good.  I sort of regretted not picking it myself!  Definitely the highlight for me.

I got "Ty's Plain Ol' French Toast," ($4.99) which is just a vanilla flavored egg custard base (as opposed to their java option, which I've had previously and is pretty good but felt like overkill on this particular morning) and is topped with powdered sugar and cinnamon butter.  It was pretty average in terms of restaurant French toast, but good.  The cinnamon butter was a nice touch, but something had a strange after taste.  Not sure if it was the bread they chose, or the cinnamon, or what.  I still managed to stuff down three pieces, so it wasn't completely off-putting or anything.

To satisfy my need for something savory, I opted for a side of bacon ($2.29) and received four decent slices of bacon.  It was pretty good, a bit crispy but not overdone, and heartier than you get at some restaurants.

The next time we go, we're both interested in trying the Eggs in Purgatory (eggs simmered in Pomodoro sauce).  We've been making our own version at home lately (thanks to my sorority sister, CincyEats, who posted her recipe and inspired me to try it), so I'd love to see how theirs compares.

Website:  Good Morning Mama's



No comments:

Post a Comment