Wednesday, September 10, 2014

General American Donut Company

Mmmm, donuts.  I love the things.  Which is why I was SUPER excited to learn that Indy would be jumping on the fancy-donut trend with the opening of General American Donut Company.

I finally got down there for the first time about a month ago.  It was a week day, and late morning, so the donuts on display were looking a little worse for wear.  And yet...I had to have them.

I tried two that first day--Black Raspberry Key Lime and Salted Caramel.  Holy crap.  The Black Raspberry Key Lime ($3) was outstanding.  Tons of jelly in the middle, a lime glaze over the top that was tart enough to offset the sweetness of the jelly...amazing.  LOVED. 

The Salted Caramel ($2.50) was also super good.  It was a traditional yeast donut, but with a salted caramel frosting that was clearly homemade (note: I've seen other pictures of this donut where the caramel was not as dark).  Salty and sweet, always a great combo!  I will add that the first donut was so filling that I just had a few bites to taste the caramel one--had to save it for later.

Also got a small regular coffee--it was reasonably priced, and very strong.  They serve Stumptown Coffee, which is NOT local, but was pretty good.  Tim would probably like it better than I did, as he enjoys an extremely strong cup of coffee black (I had to load mine with milk and sugar).

The next time I went, I picked up three for Tim and I to share.  Pickings were more slim that day, so I got another BRKL that was even better than the first, plus a Maple Bourbon Bacon ($3) and a Snickers ($3).  The Maple Bourbon Bacon was good, but essentially tasted like any other maple glazed donut you might get for $.50 instead of $3, so we likely won't get it again.  The Snickers was pretty tasty, though--again, a yeast donut, coated first in caramel and then in chocolate glaze and sprinkled with chopped peanuts.  We both really liked that combo.

But...but!  There are SO many others I want to try!!!  The Creme Brulee, the Coffee and Cream, the Coconut...all super intriguing to me.  If only it wasn't a solid 20 min drive from my home, I imagine I'd go here way too often.  Scratch that.  I guess it's a good thing it's a solid 20 min drive from my home.  The expense is also a deterrent, but on the plus side, they are large, filling donuts, so you could get away with just picking one...if you can resist the rest.
 
    
Website:  No website that I could locate, but they do have a Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment