Friday, April 5, 2013

Room Four: Quick Revisit

A few weeks ago, Tim and I popped into Room Four for dinner and I had one of the best meals I've had since...well, probably since the last time I was at Room Four.  Hey, guess what!  I like Room Four!
We started by sharing the truffle potato leek soup with grilled salmon ($10).  It was so, so good.  The leeks gave it that distinctive leekish mild-onion flavor and the potatoes were partially blended to give it a velvety quality (along with some cream, I'm sure).  It was peppery and the salmon had a slightly smokey grilled flavor (thanks to the char marks on it).  Actually, the char marks may have been my least favorite part--I wanted to taste the soup itself and felt the smoke was too dominant--but Tim said he really liked that aspect.  Different strokes for different folks!  I didn't taste much truffle, but it wasn't much of a loss as I've decided I'm not a huge fan of truffle (some people just don't jive with the flavor of truffles, and I think I'm one of those).  And yes, we've had a version of this soup before, only with different fish.

For my main, I had pan roasted hake, a fish  I'd never had before but ended up loving.  It was served in a brown butter sauce that also had capers and olives in it, and sat on top of some fennel and 'crushed' potatoes ($17). The hake itself was well seasoned and had a bit of color on it from the pan roasting.  It was cooked through, but remained so tender and juicy!  And that brown butter sauce...man, I need to learn to make it at home.  Killer.  It was luxurious, and with the tangy brined olives and capers it was completely addictive.  The potatoes and fennel (and I'm pretty sure spinach, also--it's been awhile so my memory's fuzzy, but I think I see it in the pic) combined with the fish to make a perfect buttery, briney, creamy, potato-y, fennel-y bite.

Website:  Room Four

No comments:

Post a Comment