Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Brugge Brasserie

Gettin' Figgy With It
Brugge Brasserie is an oldie but a goodie in Tim's and my rotation.  We used to go there quite often, but with the opening of so many great restaurants in Indy we don't get there as often as we might like these days.  But the beer is tasty and the food is good, and we decided it would be perfect for an end-of-the-work-week dinner last Friday night.

We arrived at 7pm--prime dinner time--and understandably had about a 20 minute wait.  Luckily, it wasn't insanely busy in the downstairs bar area, so we gathered 'round the copper table there and ordered up some beers.  Tim and I both tried the "Gettin' Figgy With It"--it's an Imperial Belgian Porter brewed with black mission figs, cardamom, and mace, and at 12% that puppy was strong--hence the small glass.  You could taste the alcohol, but the porter flavor also came through.  I liked the spices and the ever-so-slightly sweet/fruity taste from the figs.
Steak & eggs w/ Pooka in the background
Once we got a table upstairs, I ordered my usual--the Steak & Eggs ($13.95).  It's a hanger steak with two fried eggs on top and a plentiful serving of Brugge's famous frites.  Hanger steaks aren't known for being super tender, but I've never had one there that was  tough, and they have great flavor.  The eggs are a fun addition--I sometimes dip my fries in the yolks--but other times I brush them to the side and concentrate on the meat and frites.  I love, love, love Brugge's frites--they are usually generously salted and crispy and so wonderful dipped into the sauces of your choice (and there are a LOT of sauces to choose from).  You get two with this meal, and I picked blue cheese and horseradish (my usual choices--I'm a creature of habit).  Both sauces are also yummy on the steak, which is an added bonus.  Tim got the Steak Frites ($16.95), which is basically the same thing as me only a larger portion of steak and no eggs.  We have a deal that we always order the same four sauces and share them between us, so he got his standard garlic aioli and popular syrup w/ french dijon.

After the Gettin' Figgy With It, I got a Pooka.  Pooka's one of my favorites, and is a very sour boysenberry beer.  It's similar to a lambic, only much more sour.  I find it pretty thirst-quenching so it's a good beer for me to have with a meal.  It's especially great on a summer day, though, so now it just needs to get warm enough for us to sit on the Brugge patio...

Website:  Brugge Brasserie

2 comments:

  1. No mussels? That's criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I like a couple mussels here and there, but a whole pound is too much. I get tired of them a quarter of the way through. Tim's the same, he likes a couple but not a whole order. So, we skip them. I think Brugge would do itself a service to put half orders on the menu as an appetizer sort of portion--I bet a lot more people would order them if it was an option to have a smaller portion as a starter. When I have just a few, they ARE great, though!

    ReplyDelete