Sunday, January 20, 2013

Joseph Decuis Emporium


The counter
The store
 I was in Huntington, Indiana for the first time last week for a training for work, and took the opportunity to pop up to Roanoke to hit the Joseph Decuis Emporium.  I've read about the  Joseph Decuis restaurant over on Indy Restaurant Scene, and have always wanted to try it, but I don't think I could ever convince my husband to drive two hours to go to any restaurant.  So, the Emporium was a great chance to try some of their more casual food, and to shop for some fancy meats. The restaurant and emporium were on a super quaint street in Roanoke, and I found a parking spot right out front.  The emporium has a counter straight ahead of you as you enter, and it is the central hub of the room.  Up front are old chairs that have all been painted black, and tables branded with the Joseph Decius logo where you can dine-in. In the back and along one side is the store section.

The sliders
I perused the menu board, which hangs above the central counter, but the daily specials board quickly caught my eye.  Two Wagyu beef sliders with spicy mayo and bacon and a side of fries ($10 range, if I remember correctly).  Yes, it was more than I had intended to spend for lunch, but I figured it was worth it to try that Wagyu.  And it was.  Incredibly juicy and flavorful, the sliders came on toasted, sweet rolls that balanced the spicy sauce.  These things were so full of fatty deliciousness that they dripped everywhere.  Messy, but very good.  I was disappointed by the fries, though--they didn't seem homemade at all (and probably weren't--though, mind you, I didn't ask).  They were crispy and salty, but nothing I couldn't get at any number of restaurants.  I was offered a choice between those and sweet potato fries--maybe I should have taken the other option.  Oh well.

 While I waited for my order, I did a little shopping and picked up a pound of American Wagyu ground beef to try making my own burgers.  Also picked up a 1 pound package of duck breast (turned out to contain two breasts).  Can't wait to try both!

Website:  Joseph Decuis


No comments:

Post a Comment